Friday, September 10, 2010

What will it take?

During moments of peace and triumph, we receive an exhilarating rush. For example, climbing to the top of a mountain and looking out to see the sunset across the Pacific Ocean gives one an indescribable feeling. Feelings during these moments are greater than involvement in any vice or pleasure than one could involve him or herself. Nelson Mandela once said, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." For those individuals who strive for something more, some sense of accomplishment, such as myself, one could climb Mt. Everest. But if you're unable to travel to the Himalayas and spend multiple hours in an acclimation chamber as preparation, another option available is to complete an IRONMAN.


Despite initial reactions, 140.6 miles in less than 17 hours is possible for the well trained human body. If you don’t believe me, I suggest watching the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0rAiNft2I

Why on Earth would I want to do one? Because I can. I don’t need to be rich, so I consider myself to be an extremely lucky individual. My physical abilities and health give me the opportunity to do whatever any human can and I consider one a fool not to take life as a challenge. Among triathletes, the IRONMAN is not a death march; it is a celebration of your training and what you have accomplished. Despite the fact it is less than a few inches, the IRONMAN finish line is one of the most loved and simultaneously hated locations in the world. I will be one of the few and proud who can say they’ve traveled across it.

2 comments:

  1. So, you didn't make it clear...when do you intend to accomplish the IRONMAN? I wish you luck in this endeavor. Also, I like the Mandela quote you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just completed one this past Sunday! I finished in 14 hours 59 minutes and 51 seconds.

    ReplyDelete