Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Power of Advertising

In my opinion, advertising is not the fundamental drivetrain that keeps the U.S. moving, however it still is the main factor which helps us as Americans choose which products we use and the amount we use them.  It also can affect the subconscious decisions many young and easily influenced people make.  Without advertising, however, we would still function as a society. 

In my dorm room, the cable is busted, therefore the only main source of ads that I see is on the internet, which I am usually oblivious to as I am working on something or socializing, not debating which brand of toothpaste or cologne to buy.  However, even without advertising, I still manage to function through my everyday needs, buying generic toothpaste, dish soap, coffee, which is therefore nonpartisan to advertising.  If I had a major influential source of ads, then I might use a cologne every day in addition to deodorant, not just every once in a while.  I might pause before picking a brand of toothpaste because one claims to have better cavity protection over the other, but I would still use toothpaste.  My point is that in some situations, the power of advertising is limited, yet has the power to possibly be informative and influential in daily decision making. 

The same is true regarding new products and technologies.  I currently own an LG Rumor 2, which is nice yet has its setbacks compared to the technology of today.  Advertisements I see prepare me in what I want and what options are out there for when I do go looking for a new phone.  Without them, I might be oblivious to what the technology of phones can do today when I'm not entirely focused and aware of its options.  Again, I may be off with a less awesome phone, yet I would still survive in today's society without its advertisements. 

While it is true that advertisments affect the easier decisions we make, it is also well known that many young people are affected by the influence of advertisements.  More and more, I see young middle and high school girls obsessing over the way they look.  Shorter shorts, tighter shirts, and even more and more makeup and perfume, I believe, are partially contributed to the advertisements of today (Granted this demonstration only applies to girls thus far, however I will trust you see my point).  Older advertisements never had perfectly gorgeous, and occasionally fake, models.  As more and more of these types of ads appear, including sexual ads, more and more young women add to their stress loads the need to look and feel pretty.  This is another strong power that advertising has.
Without advertising, with the exception of a loss of a business market, we would see some changes to our everyday lives, such as no commercials, however I do not believe that advertising in its current state is a drivetrain of the American society.

No comments:

Post a Comment